The best solution to know about these init levels is to understand the " man init " command output on Unix.
There are basically 8 runlevels in unix. I will briefly tell some thing about the different init levels and their use.
Run Level: At any given time, the system is in one of eight possible run levels. A run level is a software configuration under which only a selected group of processes exists. Processes spawned by init for each of these run levels are defined in /etc/inittab. init can be in one of eight run levels, 0-6 and S or s (S and s are identical). The run level changes when a privileged user runs /sbin/init.
init 0 : Shutdown (goes thru the /etc/rc0.d/* scripts then halts)
init 1 : Single user mode or emergency mode means no network no multitasking is present in this mode only root has access in this runlevel
init 2 : No network but multitasking support is present .
init 3 : Network is present multitasking is present but with out GUI .
init 4 : It is similar to runlevel 3; It is reserved for other purposes in research.
init 5 : Network is present multitasking and GUI is present with sound etc.
init 6 : This runlevel is defined to system restart.
init s : Tells the init command to enter the maintenance mode. When the
system enters maintenance mode from another run level, only the system console
is used as the terminal.
init S : Same as init s.
init m : Same as init s and init S.
init M : Same as init s or init S or init m.
We can take it from above that 4 options(S,s,M,m) are synonymous.
13 comments to "what are init 0 init 1 init 2 init 3 init 4 init 5 init 6 init s init S init metc"
Powered by WidgetsForFree
- ► 2013 (19)
- ► 2011 (18)
- ► 2010 (35)
- Google have launched a site (link) for the Indian ...
- what are init 0 init 1 init 2 init 3 init 4 init 5...
- Difference between init 6 and reboot - Unix comman...
- How to add image beside post titles in blogspot or...
- Logo/icon/image on browser address bar - Fevicon
- Trip to Talakad, Somanathpura, Shivanasamudram, Ga...
- How to stop /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m in Solaris...
- How to increase /tmp size in solaris ?
- I’m paid by mGinger
- Solaris commands - Sorted according to use
- nfs mount: mount: /release: Device busy error
- FTP - windows to unix file upload using FTP
- మనసు - మాటలు: బూటు గొప్పా ? పెన్ను గొప్పా ?
- మనసు - మాటలు: చిరంజీవి కి కోడి గుడ్లు - బాలయ్య కి ...
- News paper on Aug 15 1947 Times of India
- Travel places in Bangalore Karantaka-Restaurants,D...
- Not able to Embed Comment Form below post in Blogg...
- Who moved my chese ? Telugu review in pustakam.net...
- ▼ April (18)
My Blog List
- Airtel and vodafone GPRS settings for pocket PC phones
- Andhra 2 America
- Ayyappa Deeksha required things
- Blogs I watch !
- Captions for your bike
- DB2 FAQs
- Deepavali Vs The Goddes of sleep
- ETV - Dhee D2 D3
- Evolution of smoking in India Women
- How to make credit card payments?
- Java-J2EE interview preparation
- My SQL FAQs
- My Travelogues
- Old is blod - New is italic
- Online pay methids for credit cards
- Oracle FAQs
- Smoking in Indian Women
- Technology Vs Humans
- Twitter feeds for all Telugu stars on single page.
- Unix FAQs
- Unix best practices
- init 0, init 1, init 2 ..
- mCheck Application jar or jad download