nfs mount: mount: /release: Device busy
To mount a particular directroy on a remote machine we generally run the following command but ends in the above error
mount -F nfs -o vers=3 220.127.116.11:/release /release
The solutions is to kill the process which is stoping it.
This is was the mopst common error while working of mounting from clients to a remote machine.
mount: device is busy is a common error message when a mount attempt from a UNIX client fails.
Possibilities of this occurance :
If user is in the same directory where he wants to mount a remote directory.
Alternately, the root user (or an ordinary user) is checking a standard mountpoint (e.g. /release) to see
if an external filesystem has been mounted.
They cd to /release, and stay in the directory even though the external filesystem has not yet been mounted.
If the root user is not under the mountpoint and the message remains after trying mount again,
then another user or a process is active under the mountpoint.
A key tool in finding these processes is fuser.
fuser will identify running processes in a filesystem with the process ID number. fuser implementations vary with vendor, so checking the man page is advised. Typically, options include -u for displaying the login name associated with the process, and -k to kill the processes.
Example: #mount ntserver:/c/exports /release mount: device is busy
#fuser -u /release
So user root is running process 951 under /release , preventing the mounting of the exported filesystem.
The system administrator can then advise root to cd to another directory, or more severely, kill root´s process.
0 comments to "nfs mount: mount: /release: Device busy error"
Powered by WidgetsForFree
- ► 2013 (19)
- ► 2011 (18)
- ► 2010 (35)
- Google have launched a site (link) for the Indian ...
- what are init 0 init 1 init 2 init 3 init 4 init 5...
- Difference between init 6 and reboot - Unix comman...
- How to add image beside post titles in blogspot or...
- Logo/icon/image on browser address bar - Fevicon
- Trip to Talakad, Somanathpura, Shivanasamudram, Ga...
- How to stop /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q15m in Solaris...
- How to increase /tmp size in solaris ?
- I’m paid by mGinger
- Solaris commands - Sorted according to use
- nfs mount: mount: /release: Device busy error
- FTP - windows to unix file upload using FTP
- మనసు - మాటలు: బూటు గొప్పా ? పెన్ను గొప్పా ?
- మనసు - మాటలు: చిరంజీవి కి కోడి గుడ్లు - బాలయ్య కి ...
- News paper on Aug 15 1947 Times of India
- Travel places in Bangalore Karantaka-Restaurants,D...
- Not able to Embed Comment Form below post in Blogg...
- Who moved my chese ? Telugu review in pustakam.net...
- ▼ April (18)
My Blog List
- Airtel and vodafone GPRS settings for pocket PC phones
- Andhra 2 America
- Ayyappa Deeksha required things
- Blogs I watch !
- Captions for your bike
- DB2 FAQs
- Deepavali Vs The Goddes of sleep
- ETV - Dhee D2 D3
- Evolution of smoking in India Women
- How to make credit card payments?
- Java-J2EE interview preparation
- My SQL FAQs
- My Travelogues
- Old is blod - New is italic
- Online pay methids for credit cards
- Oracle FAQs
- Smoking in Indian Women
- Technology Vs Humans
- Twitter feeds for all Telugu stars on single page.
- Unix FAQs
- Unix best practices
- init 0, init 1, init 2 ..
- mCheck Application jar or jad download